Leaving L.A.

Well, I did it! I have officially, and irrevocably moved to Massachusetts! I can’t give much more of a report than that, although that sort of feels huge enough, because in reality all I have done so far is arrived, navigated to my hotel room, eaten a pizza, taken a shower, and gone to bed. Oh, well, I have also talked to my brother, my sister, my father (twice), my stepmother, and my best friend (twice), but that’s pretty much just a normal day for me.
In a couple of hours I will get the key to my new place. I’ll start puttering and trying to think where to place my things. I only saw a model of the condo, not even the actual unit that I’ll be living in, and I am sort of Ms. Magoo-like in my visual observational powers, so if you were going to quiz me now about the various features of the place, I might not pass. So it will be an exciting surprise to get in there and see what’s what. My “stuff” won’t be here for several days, and Daisy Petals still has about a week to go before arriving, so the next week will be in flux, as I ready the condo, work, and do things like opening a local bank account, get a driver’s license and buy a car. More flux, I should say, because the last two years of my life feel like a long period of flux, and the recent weeks leading up to this certainly didn’t go any smoother.
I had been preparing for the move for a couple of months. Hired a mover, coordinated Daisy’s travel, arranged for utilities and insurance. Sorted through all of my possessions and discarded (donated, etc), any items I considered non-essential. We had a big garage sale a while back, just to get rid of things. Even with all that, there was a lot to be packed (so many books!), arranged, considered. I’m not a list maker, but for this mega project, you better believe there was an intricate spreadsheet, with links to essential vendors, associated costs tracked, every detail of this monumental project documented.
It was all in order and going smoothly. I kept waiting for something to happen, perhaps escrow to fall through, something, and kept telling myself that whatever happened, I would need to stay cool and calm, that everything could be handled.
Then, about 2 weeks before I was scheduled to leave, I got in a minor car accident. Nothing serious, 100% the other person’s fault, but of course it involved calls to the insurance company. A trip to the adjuster. More calls to the insurance company. Again, no big whoop, but a little aggravating, especially considering how busy I was and that I was leaving my car to sell in L.A. and now it had a fresh new gouge in it that I didn’t have time to get repaired.
But even that got handled fairly easily and we were heading into the final stretch. I started to breathe a little easier. Mistake! Because, five days before the moving van was coming, I became very seriously ill. So seriously ill, in fact, that I ended up in the hospital and spent two tortuous days hooked up to multiple I.V.s and completely freaking out about, hmmm, well, everything. It was not good! Eventually, after a lot of begging, cajoling and perhaps even a bit of whining, I was released, but unfortunately, it was not exactly in robust health. It’s going to take at least six weeks to completely recover from this illness, and in the meantime I am completely exhausted, and a little weak. Just what you want as you prepare to make the biggest move of your life!
Like everything in life, things have a way of working out. Thankfully I was already so organized and ahead of things that there wasn’t too much left to do. I spent the last 2 days before the move packing up last minute personal things, the stuff that no-one else can really do for you, and let the movers do the rest. I had help from family and friends, and after the packing, went and “camped” out with my best friend for several days, where she took great care of me, we laughed and talked and laughed some more, and consciously made an effort not to dwell on our upcoming parting. I tried to rest and recover, not as easy as it sounds with all of the thoughts swirling through my poor brain. Thursday morning we said goodbye, and kept to our promise not to cry, although I definitely shed some tears as I drove away. Then I went to my parents for my final night, my dad took me to the airport in the wee hours of the morning, and here I am, a Massachusetts resident!
I’m not going to pretend it hasn’t been weird, or that it isn’t weird now. There was a moment on the plane where I just thought “what the hell have I done”? I know it’s going to take a while to settle in and make this my home, but I’m confident this will happen. I wish I wasn’t still so tired and rocked by my recent illness, and know that I am going to have to work very hard to take it a bit easier than I normally would, and to be very good and kind to myself. But I have a wonderful support system, both here and in CA and know all I need to do is ask for help and it will be given. I spent the last two years thinking and looking and praying for a job, and now I have a good one, in a beautiful place. Wonderful things lie ahead! So, stay with me, and we will all see what happens next.
The end, for now


One response

  1. Wishing you good health and joy in your new home — life is an adventure – enjoy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: